Friday, January 28, 2005

Now I know

My old house was torn down on Wednesday. I ran by it yesterday and had to stop and stare at it for a while. They filled in the hole, and left all of the trees around it. It was weird to not have that old house there anymore, and I couldn't help thinking of how small it was. I suppose that it would have been harder on me if I had actually seen it wrecked or even seen the rubble. I felt oddly calm about it, as if it was some other house that I had just remembered seeing there, and not the house that I had been living in for thirteen and a half years.

Yesterday was also the last day of semester one, and I was unhappy. I'm not going to have P.E. again until September, so now all that I have to stay fit is my weight training, my running and my dance. I'm not going to have any more science, which isn't my favourite subject, but I'm good at it and I liked my two teachers. Math class is something that I won't miss...except discussing with Jas about how Tina is so dependent on her friends, and so HOPELESS when it comes to math. It's true, she asks me for help in math, and she gets at least ten percent more that I do. These last few days were actually quite fun, if you could call math fun. And now we come to metal. I am going to miss it. The slacking off, the deciding to be entirely unproductive, spending half an hour washing one pendant, banging rawhide mallets to try and make as much noise as the other metal students, using Chris as a headrest, listening to my mp3 player and turning up the volume as loud as it would go, telling Darren to fuck off and thinking up ways to cut off that DAMN BRAID, sucking up to the people using the oxy-acetylene torches to light the oil lamps for jewelry, making glass beads, secretly putting plaster-dust handprints on the back of Jessica's jacket, dropping jewelry in acid, then watching Aaron use the lathe and playing with the little pieces of metal that came off, telling Kevin to fuck off, watching Russell play with that catapult that he made, getting out of class ten to twenty minutes early, getting my daily hug from Chris, and last but certainly not least, complaining with Jessica about how there were never any paper towels in the washroom when we went to wash our hands at the end of block five. On the bright side, no more listening to Maria obsess over Billy Martin (there is a God!).

Ahh, tis a sad day.


Post a Comment

<< Home