Sunday, February 13, 2005

REGURGITATE NOW!!

So today for breakfast, my mom made pancakes. They were banana nut, or something like that.

Harmless right?

Unfortunately, I am allergic to bananas. Even more unfortunately is the fact that I love bananas.

Anyways, I'm eating pancakes and the inside of my throat is getting all itchy, but I don't even really notice because I was too busy listening to my dad rant about the curriculum in high schools and how it's so crappy. He was going on about how we learn all of the facts, but they don't really expect us to think. They just want us to regurgitate everything on the final. We were talking about books that we are forced to read in English class. Yes they are interpretive, and make you think a little more, but from what you gain from the sophistication of the writing and plot, you lose through lack of interest. There are books out there that are both interpretive and enjoyable! And usually the theme of the book isn't even really relevant today. For example, "In the Heat of the Night." It's about a homicide, but basically the whole recurring theme is that racism is bad. I already know that it is. I don't need a book about white people being mean to black people in Alabama, that was written in 1965 to tell me that. If I wanted to read a book about racism, I would want to read something that is relevant to me, to 2005. I'd rather read about the Middle East. We were also discussing social studies. There is no emotion in social studies. You get the facts, you regurgitate them, get the facts, regurgitate. You don't think about how the person that you're learning about is feeling, you don't ever know what their exact motives for doing whatever it is that they've done. Also, why do we learn about history in a linear fashion? Why not, "Let's look at love in history today. Now let's look at hate. Now let's look at this. Now let's look at that. Now let's see how this all ties together." I think that it would be way more effective. But what do I know. What do any of us know.

Nothing.

Post a Comment

<< Home