Sunday, February 05, 2006

Bitchfest Extraordinaire

I have been bitching about dance costumes to my parents. Apparently I am being measured for mine on Tuesday. I seriously hate this time of year. Donna has a vision, and nothing I say or do will change that vision. I already know that I will hate both of my costumes. First of all, I have to go out and buy myself a black bodysuit for my group. I haven't had to wear one since I was eight, and it was orange and I was pretending to be a cat for musical theatre. Second of all, I have this sneaking suspicion that our costume will have fringe. Lots of fringe. We are supposed to be "Indians in Saskatchewan in the thirties, doing a raindance to bring rain on Saskatchewan." I have already voiced my opinions on fringe, but like every year, I doubt she'll listen to me. She also wants the top of our pants to be higher than our belly buttons. Ewwwwww. I mean, if the tops we are supposed to be wearing are extra long, and we are wearing black body suits underneath, at least Mao and I are, then it really doesn't matter if the pants are above our bellybuttons or super low on our hips because there won't be any midriff showing. I would now like to point out that Donna and I never see eye to eye as far as logic goes. Also, Nabi will be making our costumes again. I swear that every measurement she takes, she adds three inches to. Everything she makes is way too big for me, who I guess will solve the problem of the pants being too high, because I will have to roll them down, or they will end up low on my hips by the time I am done dancing anyways.

Let us look at last years costumes for example. For my group, she made the pants for our costumes. The ones that went up to our waistline with the suspenders. Other people, like the amazingly skinny Robynne had trouble doing up the velcro on the side because the pants were too tight at the top. I was the complete opposite. If I took off the suspenders, the pants would immediately fall to my ankles. As for my duo last year, I think she lost my measurements and used my sister's instead for me because that vest made me look like a shapeless blob.

As for my duo costume this year, Donna is letting us choose the pants and everything which is nice. It would have been good if we could have worn last year's duo pants, but the one I was wearing were a size six (got them on clearance) so, like the other pants, they just fall right off, because first of all, I am a size two/three, and second, I have no hips to speak of. So, we have to go out and find some more. Not a big problem. What is a problem, however, is that Donna wants us to wear tanktops. Now, I was surprised as any when she mentioned it, because it would mean showing off our shoulders, collarbones and arms, which I have never done before with one of her costumes, but it presents quite a large problem. You see, if I wore a tanktop, I couldn't wear a sports bra underneath, and believe me, I need one. I fact, Donna last year was always after me to wear two bras, you know, for that extra support. If I wore a tanktop, it would kind of show, even though we are wearing black netting overtop. Now, good sports bras are expensive. And sports bras that are both good and flesh-coloured so I could wear one under a tank top, are especially hard to find, not to mention that one would probably cost a small fortune depending on the size. I think that if Donna wants us to wear tanktops, she is going have to do a little extra homework and help me find a decent flesh-coloured sports bra, because I don't want to waste my time finding one on my own. So there.

Sometimes I wonder why I still dance with Donna. It just makes me bitchy.

Post a Comment

<< Home