Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Mexico Travel Journal: March 11th

Saturday, March 11, 2006

10:40am
We had tortilla thingies with cheese last night for dinner and it reminded me of French; the tortilla part tasted just like the crêpes we made on Mardi Gras. Afterwards, Amy, Anny, Kyle, Sergio, Jeff, the two Natasha's and I read magazines, talked and played Pictionary. I went to the bathroom to have a shower and Amy followed me just to hear me freak over how cold it was. I didn't and she was upset. Anny and Amy invited Sergio, Kyle and I over to sleep on their mats. I ended up sleeping on the space between their mats, on the tiled floor, and squished between Kyle and Sergio, with Anny on Kyle's other side and Amy at our heads. I was really squished all night, but on the bright side, I wasn't cold at all. My back is really sore now. I am also not feeling well, but I took some drugs, and laid in agony on my bed for a while and now I feel a little better. There was a storm in the middle of the night, complete with thunder and lightning, so the ground is too muddy and slippery for us to work with and you can't lay concrete if it's going to rain. We are heading to the local cultural centre now and are almost there.

She loved that hat so much.
Amy on her bed.

It looks like Amy is grabbing Anny's chest.  I actually don't remember what happened.
Anny on her bed.

12:33pm
The cultural centre was fucking awesome. The building itself was beautiful, very modern. I want to go back, so badly. I didn't have time to see everything. There were security guards following us around and making sure that no one touched anything. On the bus right now, storm outside, hailing so hard that you can't hear anything else. It's deafening. Thunder, lightning, Sergio was right, Mexican storms are way better then Canadian storms. Currently stopped at Costco, where a few people are inside buying some drugs. Apparently I'm not the only one who's feeling sick, though I'm actually feeling better now, bought a mocha at the cultural centre and immediately burned my hand with it. A couple of the chaperones are inside, plus Sergio, who is translating and mom, who was the only one on the trip who thought to bring her Costco card. They are back now and I have to pick up my mocha because I fear for my lap. We are heading back to the "ranch" as we like to call it for lunch, then we will spend the afternoon in Rosarito.

It was so fucking awesome there.

The cultural centre in Tijuana. We weren't allowed to take flash photos, so that's why the picture is so crappy.

The one with the big eyes is my favourite
This was at the cultural centre. I thought it was cute until I saw this:

Oooo, shifty-eyed pineapple.
It was to the left of the display. I thought it looked lonely.

6:00pm
Had the best lunch ever, potato taco things and Manzana Lift. I love being vegetarian. It was so filling though. I couldn’t walk properly afterwards. We left for Rosarito and Anny and Amy played Word Association, absolutely hilarious. We wandered around for a while, Amy, Anny, Kyle, Julie, Michael, Sergio, KJ, Carly, Kayla, mom and I, where Sergio bought tons of jewellery for his girlfriend, I bought SUS’s birthday present and Anny got repeatedly attacked by this woman who wanted her to buy a bracelet. Lights just got turned off in bus, I will write more when I can see.

It was so damn good :)
The best damn lunch ever.

She looks like a frog.
Anny, sporting the new, "Wear two pairs of sunglasses if you want to be cool like me," look.

Maybe I should have bought one?
This was in a store near where Amy got attacked by that woman. I didn't touch them.

9:07pm
After wandering around and buying a few things, we came across a little marketplace. It was really confusing in there; the whole thing is in the shape of a grid, very easy to get lost. I bought the coolest Jack Skellington bag. We wandered around in there for a couple hours, then met up and traveled to some unknown destination and ate in a restaurant, with the loudest mariachi band that I have ever heard. Absolutely everything was in Spanish and the only vegetarian thing on the menu wasn’t even on the menu. It was a scooped out chilli pepper filled with cheese, with rice and beans on the side. So good. Sergio ended up ordering for almost everybody in our group. Our meals came with soup and a dessert, which was really good. I think that it was some sort of rice mush with raisins, wrapped up in a corn husk. Very sweet. Sergio couldn’t explain it in English, so I’m not sure exactly what it was. I ended up eating mine, half of Anny’s, who for some reason didn’t like it, and part of KJ’s, because she was too full to finish. Amy made up a skit thing using a cup and a piece of ice about KJ and how she was going to die from Hep B for using too much MSN lingo. Anny passed the time by trying to throw ice down Amy’s shirt, earning Amy the name “Ice Boobs.” Afterwards we were dancing in a corner of the room to the sound of the mariachi band. We finally went outside, where everybody pretended that they were drunk, some actually were, and I kneed Anny in the crotch for singing the Spice Girls.

Mom wouldn't let us go in here.
The hotel near the market.

This place went on forever.
The market.

One of our our group got serenaded.
The restaurant with the loud mariachi band.

Anny got really good at throwing ice.
The dreaded Ice bucket that gives you Hep B.

It was so good.
Dessert.

Post a Comment

<< Home