Monday, August 07, 2006

Garden Cheerios

Last night I stayed at Erin's apartment. I don't particularly like staying there, I usually get a better night's sleep, but it takes me a while for fall asleep because it's so damn bright in there, and when I finally do, I tend to have really weird dreams, like the one last night about rugby as politics, and a game where there were six of us against fifteen, and our only forward was Kari, from the Heritage team, even though she's a back in real life.

This morning I woke up and mourned for a few minutes that I couldn't go for a run because I can't find my brace, then remembered that I was alone and could shower for as long as I wanted. As a bonus, my sister finally has conditioner in her apartment, thanks to me. All she needs now, is a hairbrush and a dryer that turns off by itself, and she'll be set.

I made myself breakfast, then left for sailing. I wanted to buy coffee on the way, but the ice cream shop hadn't opened.

We launched the boats, I was in Lucy and did a pretty decent job, considering the fact that I was docking to Big Red and not to an actual dock, and I had to maneuver around the Twins. Falacci and I went down to the dock to make two sets of Laser lines; there were a few minor set backs: I had to fun back to the Boathouse to grab the key to the shed, and the knife wasn't in the toolbox, so we had to burn the ropes instead. A few minutes after we arrived on the dock, a man and a woman on a small powerboat decided to save thirty seconds off their trip to downtown by leaving the channel early so they could accelerate and go faster than five knots, but it was low tide and they got stuck on a mud bank. Falacci and I went out to help them, help meaning they tied one end of our buoyant heaving line to their boat, and I held onto the other end, while Falacci gunned Salma in reverse. My pinkies still hurt. We drove back to the docks and Falacci ran up to the boathouse to get the kill chord for Big Red, but by the time she came back the tide had gone out even further and they were completely beached. We drove out there again, and told them to stay their anchor and wait for the tide to come up.

By then it was so hot out, and we hadn't even done the lines yet. I set to work making boomvangs and lighting the torch for Falacci, because I could get it started in one try and she couldn't. That didn't take long at all, though it would have taken even less time if we hadn't stopped to talk to Derpak and marvel at his impressive sock tan.

We came up for lunch. I stole Greg's chair and felt proud of myself.

I didn't feel like having to put up with Ana in the afternoon, so I volunteered to attach a newly repaired daggerboard to boat number five with Greg. We had to get all of the holes lined up and stick a bolt through, which was really difficult, because Greg was having problems moving the daggerboard around, we later found out that part of it was warped, and I wasn't having much fun either, because I was the one who got to hang practically upside down and tell Greg if it was lined up or not. Eventually we stopped because we were dying and I had something in my eye, and we took off our pfd's, which is a no-no, but we didn't care because nobody else was on the dock, and we sat in the shade of the shed. I couldn't get the thing out of my eye no matter how hard I tried, so finally I ignored it.

Jimmy and Sam arrived on Lucy to fill up a waterbottle for their Juniors, so after I filled it up, they gave us a ride to the other dock, and we walked up to the Boathouse to complain about the daggerboard to Brent. The first thing that I did when I was up there was to go upstairs to the washrooms, because the ones downstairs have not been cleaned more than once every couple weeks since Erin and I quit, to see what was in my eye. My vision had also been a little on the blurry side on the way up to the Boathouse, and when I touched my pupil to see if my contact was positioned right, I found out that it wasn't there at all. I then figured out that thing in my eye was my contact, all bunched up and stuck beneath my eyelid. I couldn't get it out, but my left eye is the better one, so I didn't care too much.

I went over to the RPSA office, and Brent showed us his new phone, because it had lots of pretty features, including forty television channels, one of them being twenty-four seven of girls prancing around in bikinis, which we watched for five minutes, with a hilarious commentary on Brent's part. Finally we remembered to tell him about the daggerboard, and we all went downstairs, so Brent could sand it down a bit. Greg and I had been been sitting around doing nothing for a while, when I suddenly realized that I hadn't eaten lunch yet. Mikhael arrived then, straight from work, and with him brought a slurpee from Seven, so I drank part of it, then Greg and I went off to the ice cream shop to buy slurpees and cookies, while Mikhael took advantage of the shower feature upstairs.

We all hung out downstairs and talked, then Brent showed us how the daggerboard was warped, and put a new gel coat on the board.

Eventually the Sailors arrived, and after washing the Twins, Mikhael and I left and made our way to my house. The 701 that we were on suddenly decided to drop us off at the stop on the corner of Shaughnessy and Lougheed, so we had to wait for another bus, but I didn't really care, because I had spent most of my day not caring about things.

Mikhael is bad luck. I played Solitaire while he was here, so many games and I didn't win a single one. The second game that I played after I got home from taking him home and Erin to her apartment, I won.

We stopped at Dairy Queen on the way to Erin's apartment. Their soap smells bad.

Possible blog titles for today: Needs More Aardvark, Random Dead Badger, Garden Cheerios, That One I Can't Remember Because I Was Too Stupid To Write It Down And Greg Is Offline So I Can't Ask Him What It Was, Bikinis!, Can't Make It To Lunch: Stuck In Mud.

I'm going to bed now. This took me an hour to type.

Post a Comment

<< Home