Sunday, August 13, 2006

Lovely Nifty Amusive

So after a nice sleep yesterday, I was awakened by my mother. I got up with a huge headache.

I played a few games of solitaire, before I was yelled at by my parents for not having made my grandmother's birthday cake. My grandmother wanted strawberry shortcake, so my parents decided to have me make it from scratch, because I'm good with baking.

After a rough start, which included me running around screaming because my helper, Erin, suddenly decided to take a shower when I needed her to grease the pans, and because the sugar smelled off, it tasted fine though, everything went pretty smoothly, despite me having to wait for my parents to go buy milk. My left arm is still sore from mixing the batter. It was a well beaten cake. It ended up being three layers, the mother of all strawberry shortcakes, and we managed to get whipping cream over most of the kitchen table and ourselves.

We left soon after, with our monster creation on a silver platter, and I'll try to get a picture of it sent to me before this post is over. Erin held the cake on her lap. I wanted to make a detour into Port Moody to grab a copy of the TriCity, but I was severely disappointed, and I still haven't seen it.

We got to the hospital where Grandma resides just before five, and soon after met the nurse whose daughter dances at Footloose. My uncles Lloyd, Ray and Squid, meaning all of them, could not make it, so it was just the four of us, Grandma, Auntie Gaynell, and my cousin Andrea. Pretty pathetic, considering how large our family is. Grandma has five children, eleven grandchildren and fourteen great-grandchildren. Six of us were there. Not even Gucci was there, much to my surprise and relief, but apparently she won Best Costume in the dog show at the country fair in White Rock.

We ate dinner, Gay and Andrea ordered burgers for themselves, Grandma and her roommate, Margaret, while we brought our own dinner: barbecued salmon and cous cous. We ate the cake, it was really good and I received many praises, and then we all sat back and talked for a while, about politics and ourselves, but eventually Grandma decided that she was sore from having been in her park bench of a wheelchair all day, so we left soon after with the remainder of the cake, after giving a piece to Margaret to share with her granddaughter.

It was Saturday night, so instead of going home, we went to the Richmond Night Market instead. It was my first time going, so I was pretty excited, though I couldn't help wondering if it was going to be similar to downtown Tijuana in any way. Not really. There was more variety in the booths, one would sell clothing, the next electronics, the next sunglasses, the next toys, the next bras, the next cutesy Azn stuff, then it would repeat. They weren't all selling the same things. And they weren't pushy. In Mexico they try to drag you into their store, or into their topless bar.

Anyways, I bought socks. It was exciting. Next time we go we are going to try some of the food, we were too full to try any this time, and next time I am totally blowing all of my money on cellphone straps, though what I am going to decorate with them I haven't decided yet, as my phone won't accommodate them. Maybe my duffel bag.

I went to bed as soon as we got home.

I slept in until nine this morning. My mother has just informed my sister and I, that when she dies, she doesn't want us fighting over her supply of elastic bands.

The cake:
Yum
Blogger angelfish mumbled, while downing a shot of tequila:

OOOH! You changed the backround of your blog. Cool. Where do you find your templates? They're so pretty :P

Yeah, I'm back at school already. When do you start school again?

3:28 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home