Monday, November 27, 2006

The Deep Thoughts of Abigail

Excerpts from a school journal I had to keep in grade one. If there is more than one paragraph underneath a date, each one is a seperate entry. There will be more pictures later on, when my computer stops lagging so much. The one that is there was very necessary or I would not have bothered at all today.

~

September 30, 1996
I WeNt CapiNG (camping) And I Got to sleep IN the vaN

This is a ThenT (tent) And I sleep in it And I oso (also) went conping (camping) on the wecod (weekend) And I sleept (slept) four (for) one Day

October 4, 1996
I can do a Hand stand

October 7, 1996
I went to camp olav (Olave) And I picdt (picked) mom up

October 9, 1996
This is a mug and I see a gril gid (Girl Guide) uosing (using) one of them

October 15, 1996
This is me and I'm having a Brthday (birthday) and I invitid (invited) seven pepl (people) The party will be at the caboose (the MacDonalds Caboose. All of the cool people had their birthday parties there)

October 17, 1996
This is a sofu (from now on, all couches shall be called sofus) Aad (and) a rocking chair And the naebrs (neighbours) helpt (helped) then Puot (put) thme (them) back

This is my dad and He is at the door And I live in a yellow House, and my dad is Waiting for me to Cume (come) back from Sparcks (Sparks) and

October 28, 1996
This is a bear and I see one rit (right) naow (now) And I thingk (think) the Bear is kuot (cute) and my Bear is brown and my Bear has glass (glasses) and a ball ( I actually remember drawing that picture)

November 4, 1996
This is me and my sister and we moved Downsters (downstairs - this is when we moved from that litle room upstairs to the basement) and we Got the cats and One of the cats Sleept (slept) on my bed

November 6, 1996
We saw a rainbow It was windy and rainy It was beautiful!

November 12, 1996
On the weekind (weekend) I was at Home and I worckt (worked) vere (very) hard My sistr (sister) and me were Racking (raking) the levs (leaves) in the Backyard

November 13, 2006
This is a jet and this jet is rede (ready) to fly and three pepl (people) are besid (beside) thejet

November 18, 1996
I was at Micelles (Michelle's) Birthday and we opnd (opened) the presints (presents) befour (before) the cake but aftre the cake we faond (found) brianns (Brian's? Who the fuck is he?) presint (present) in a cat bag

This is a gid (Guide) and she is siting (sitting) And smiling and she is pashint (patient)

This is my sistr (sister) and me and we wrockt (worked) and we went out for diner (dinner) and and I was vere (very) foll (full)

November 26, 1996
I helpt (helped) Kasee (Kaicee) make a snowman and my frends (friends) and me made some anjles (angels) and my frends (friends) and me mode (made) a snowcasle (snow castle) but the next day the snow casle (snow castle) was gone becus (because) big kids stept (stepped) on it.

November 27, 2006
I would like to go to Ontereo (Ontario) (My most favourite entry, written exactly ten years ago today)

November 29, 1996
This weekend I am going to get a hare (hair) cut. and I am going to dans (dance) and all the extra time I am going to my baby siters (babysitter's)

I workt in the backard (backyard) and my back got tird (tired) so I stopt (stopped) and wocht (watched) tv and my dad gave me a tone (twoonie)

December 9, 1996
I am going to go christmas cerling (caroling) with the gids (Guides) and my mom. (pictured: me, left, Erin, center, Mom, right)

December 16, 1996
I am going to fly to ouama (Oyama, somewhere in the Okanogan) in a aerplan (aeroplane) and my cusin (cousin - Um, I think it was Andrea) is going to pick me up

January 6, 1997
My wost (worst) day on the holiday was satrday (Saturday. Which Saturday it was was not specified) cuis (because) we had to wait 8 awos (hours) to get on the aryplan (aeroplane) and wen (when) we got to the aryport (airport) we lost our lugige (luggage) (I remember this quite well. We went to visit my grandmother for a few days before Christmas, but our flight to whichever airport was cancelled, so we were put on a different flight to Kelowna and we had to wait eight hours in the airport for it. Eventually we made it to Kelowna, only to find out that our luggage had been sent to wherever we were supposed to fly in the first place, and we had no other clothes than the ones that we were wearing for the duration of our trip. Our luggage was waiting for us in Vancouver when we got back. Needless to say, that was the last time I flew on a plane until I was thirteen.)

January 10, 1997
I made a snowman out of marshmallows and toothpicks

January 13, 1997
I went to the dentist and I went to dans (dance) class and I rode my bike and all the extra time I workt (worked) hard (?)

January 14, 1997
This is a penny that I have and I will cepe (keep) it in my piggibank (piggybank) and it is my favrit (favourite) penny

January 20, 1997
yestrday (yesterday) I went to the movethetr (movie theatre) and I soe (saw) 101 delmashins (101 Dalmations - the non-animated version) and on the 21 (21st) I am going to the dentist and on the 29 (29th) I am going to the dentist (I had cavities) and I got a new outfit

January 27, 1997
on the weekend I went to Kayleys birthday and I went to Marissas birthday and next week I am going to Marissa'a house (what's funny is that I don't remember being Marissa's friend until grade four)

January 31, 1997
yestrday (Yesterday) I went to danc (dance) and tomorrow I am going to danc (dance) (this was obviously written on a Friday) and tomorrow im going to Marissa's house and all the extra time I am going to work hard (and what the hell is 'working hard'? Not the first time this was mentioned, and not the last, I think)

February 3, 1997
yestrday (Yesterday) I helpt (helped) my dad and I helpt (helped) my sister and I helpt (helped) my mom and I did chors (chores) and my mom workt (worked) hard (and now mom is working hard. What we were doing that required so much effort is beyond me)

February 10, 1997
yestrday (Yesterday) I saw Marissa and I walked down the dock (Rocky Point Pier) with her and on satrday (Saturday) I went to dance and it was fun to do that with my sister.

yesrday (Yesterday) I worket (worked) hard with my dad and he put me down the jranig (drainage) pipe and I was pulling weeds rok (rocks) and mud and there was a lot of stuff ( I remember doing this. It was fun. The pipe was fairly narrow and about five feet deep and I was the only one who could fit in it. My dad needed me to clear out the cedar tree debris from around the sump pump because it wasn't working properly, putting our basement at risk of flooding)

February 19, 1997
I read to my mum. my babysitter helpes (helps) me with my spellathon words. my mum helpes (helps) me with my math.

February 24, 1997
on Satrday (Saturday) I went to dance and I went to the dentist and on Friday I went boling (bowling) and yesterday I rode my bike all the way from home to the westcostexpres (West Coast Express) parking lot.

February 26, 1997
I feel happy when my family takes me bike rideing (riding) arownd (around) the park and I feel happy when I go to school and do work and I feel happy when I so swimming in the summer

March 3, 1997
on Friday I went to dq (Dairy Queen) and I saw Jesse. and on satrday (Saturday) I went to dance. and yesterday I went to sinins (Science) world and I went with my dad and my sister it was fun.

March 5, 1997
I'm not happy when my cat dise (dies) (Um, I was confused about this one until I remembered that we found a stray cat and named her Maggie. She and I loved each other very much. One day she ran away and we think that she was eaten by a coyote) and I'm not happy when pepel (people) yell at me. and I'm not happy when I fall. and I'm not happy when people trip me.

on satrday (Saturday) I went to dance. and yesterday I had a lot of fun I went to the spark event at lunch I ate ceeze pezza (cheese pizza. All of the Z's were backwards) and for a dringk (drink) I had orange pop.

March 11, 1997
I found a sign of Spring in the trees they were robins. and I found a sign of Spring in my backyard they are buds.

March 13, 1997
if I caught a leprechaun I woud (would) ask if he woud (would) give me some of his gold and if he dusint (doesn't) have enie (any) gold I will ask him to ues (use) his machic (magic) and torn (turn) something into gold so I coud (could) have it. (It just goes to show you how greedy I was when I was younger. To be fair, everyone in my class wrote practically the same thing.)

March 14, 1997
Things I know about penguins. (we studied them that year) They come in diferit (different) sizis. (sizes - once again, the Z was backwards) some penguins lye (lay) two eggs. others lye (lay) one egg. some bild (build) a nest. penguins do not fly. penguins are cammoflosh (cammoflaged) in the water. (Yep, these were my parent's tax dollars at work)

March 24, 1997
on Spring Brak (Break) I went to to watch the star wars trilogy on the big skreen (screen) (I do not remember this at all) and got my hair cut and me and my dad had lunch together and I rode my bike to sfu (I did not, I rode it on campus and inside buildings, which isn't allowed, not that we cared) and all that stff (stuff) was fun to me

One time the Easter bunny left an egg for the Bunny famliy (family) and the little bunnies were puzzled when they saw it outside their hole and they smelled it and it didn't move so they touched it and still it didn't move so they asked their mum to tell them what it was and she said it is a chocolate egg we have never seen chocolate eggs befor (before)

When the Easter bunny left bath beads hiar (hair) things and he left millains (millions) of easter eggs and we had loots of fun ding (finding) (When I was reading thing wo my parents, it took me quite a few tries before I could read that part through without having to stop to laugh) easter eggs.

April 3, 1997
I know Spring is here because of the flowers blomming (blooming), buds on trees, grass growing and more birds. and I see my friends at rocky pint (Point) park and I play with them

April 7, 1997
yesterday I went 10 kilometre (kilometres) on my bike and I went around a lake and back and I listened to fred pener (Fred Penner) (This was the only time that I ever listened to him when I wasn't dancing) and my favret (favourite) song was the cat came back it was funny to listen to that

April 9, 1997
Ann Blades was here yesterday. she told about her pantings (paintings) and she did a slideshow for us to watch, and she painted a shy and she blowdrid (blowdried) it it looket (looked) butffle (beautiful) I like her storys (stories) they are good books. I have two of her books I have a salmon for simon and a dog came too.

April 14, 1997
on friday I went to work with my mum on the westcost expres. (West Coast Express) and at lunch I ate pizza. and in the afternoon I made kites to play with. and my faveret (favourite) kite was my frog kite that I made. (I believe that this was when mom was still working at Arts Umbrella)

April 21, 1997
on Saterday (Saturday) I went to dance and I got lines to say (theatre). and on Sunday my dad lawn mode (mowed) the lawn (as opposed to the side of the garage) and I thoght (thought) it was a lawk mooer and I ran away from it

April 23, 1997
When the sun shines I play in my sandbox and I bild (build) sandcasles (sandcastles) and I go bearfoot (barefoot) in teh grass and I play in my playhouse evry (every) sunny day.

April 28, 1997
On Friday I watched the cartune (cartoon) 101 dalmashons (101 Dalmations) and Saerday (Saturday) I watched the real 101 dalmashons (101 Dalmations). and on Saterday (Saturday) night my sister and me were partying with no parants (parents). (Um . . . I was six and a half and my sister was nearly eleven. What we were doing that could be considered partying is beyond me.)

April 30, 1997
My favourite television show is Are You Afraid of the Dark (not anymore). It is on weekdays at all different times. It is about scary things. I like it because it makes me have bad dreams. (I was an odd child)

May 1, 1997
A triangle is something with three corners. and three sides. It has straight sides. I found a triangle, it is one of my kites, and a cedar tree.

May 5, 1997
on Sunday I celebrated my mothers birthday. and we are going to have ice cream cones at sparks. I thingk (think) it is going to be vanilla ice cream. I don't know what cind (kind) it will be. but it will be good. and I will eat it tonight. I love ice cream, aney (any) cind (kind) will make me happy. My favourite is chocolate. (This last sentence was not written by me, nor is my favourite ice cream flavour chocolate)

May 12, 1997
On mothers day I went for a hike at Pit River Lake (Pitt River Lake). And (crossed out) We got relly (really) hot and we went to the beach by there. But (crossed out) We dident (didn't) go swimming but we had a good time. And (crossed out) We saw two dogs with sticks in there (their) moths (mouths). And (crossed out) They kept running into the water. And (crossed out) The water was cool.

May 20, 1997
On the long weekend I dropt (dropped) Mum and Erin off at camp and then we (dad and I) went down to a pear (pier). and we rode our bikes all the way back to them and we had a dringk (drink) and then we went back to are (our) van and we went somewear (somewhere) to have fish and chips and we had ice cream.

May 26, 1997
Yesterdat I had dance school pictures. they were swinging on a star and I lobster and never flounder (the names of my dances). they both made me tierd (tired) and I only got indvtul (individual) pictuers (pictures) on swinging on a star (my first ever tap number. The other one was my musical theatre, where I played a shrimp) but that was okay.

May 29, 1997
Yesterday was science day. I liked cinemazoo. my favourite anamole (animal) was a big fat snake. and I got to pet it it felt like rubber. and I like danceing (dancing) raisins because when the raisins went into the pop they danced and we put milk in the pop they stoped (stopped) like muical chars (musical chairs). ( I have vague memories of that day.)

After this were no more entries, but a double page spread divided into eight sections with one word and a corresponding picture in each section.
5. smock
6. suck

7. sip
8. stick

1. sit
2. sis

3. sick
4. sock


Okay, I lied. This was the whole book.

Post a Comment

<< Home