Friday, June 29, 2007

"It's a miracle!" "It's a sign!" "It's a fucking cockatoo!"

Okay, so yesterday. I got to school early, after going for coffee at Starbucks with the parents and getting two free samples of the eggs Florentine breakfast sandwich. I was alone for a while, Shalaleh and Kenard showed up, but mysteriously disappeared; eventually Emily showed up and kept me company. I did the sudoku in the 24 Hours, it took me forever (it was a medium). We saw that other people had their report cards early, so we sought out Mr Brinkman and demanded ours. After that we sneaked into the drama room, where we found the elusive Shalaleh and Kenard, as well as Denis, Gary, Betty and Marianne. They were practicing their ballroom dancing. We sat down on a bench and discussed So You Think You Can Dance, and I complained that they should all be doing more than just the basic steps (A few minutes later Denis started teaching them some new stuff; I take full responsibility). Denis does the classic male dancer thing; when his hands aren't specifically doing anything, they're really stiff. Everyone also looked really awkward with each other.

So around eleven-thirty everyone went to their respective advisory teachers for their report cards. I found Mikhael's, I had absolutely no idea who she was, but I had to call Mikhael and get him to confirm that I was allowed to take his report card, not that I didn't know what he was getting in everything anyways (though the Physics mark was a bit of a shocker, I mean, two percent lower than Bio? Mikhael, I'm disappointed). We all gathered in one mess in the caf (where I bumped into Katie), decided on where to meet, then went towards our chosen methods or transportation. A bunch of us (let's see, Katie, Krisha, SUS, Beckie, Rebeca, Ioana, Karolina, Denis and I, or something like that. Everyone else, including most of the guys, it seems, got rides or drove themselves) took the bus. I was complimented first on my worldly knowledge of the transit system, then on how nice my ass looked in the pants I was wearing (by Krisha and Co.)

People sort of filtered in to the field near Spani Pool. While we were waiting for more people (and a soccer ball) to arrive, we started a game of catch. Tena arrived and attempted to jump over a fence (I wish Roo had been paying attention and had been taking picture; she had my camera at the time) and ripped her pants. She spent the next however long wandering around wearing a towel around her middle. We began our game when somebody arrived with a soccer ball. IT was boys against girls, but soon Brian, Kevin, Denis and Gary joined us. Soon we had nearly forty people on the field, most of them playing. I was on defence, not because I'm any good at the position, but because I can block things with my body. To prove that, I blocked two shots from close range with my stomach (stupid James, the first one hurt), earning me the nickname, Abs of Steel (or, you know, Abby for short). I was also blocking balls with my lumpy leg, which really hurt. Brian stepped on my right big toe (thankfully not the left one, which is still sprained) with cleats and my toe has been swollen since then, thought it didn't swell and start hurting until a few hours later.

People came and went, but there was a core group of about twenty of us that stayed the entire time.

Just as we were about to finish the game the heavens opened and there was a torrential downpour for five minutes. We all scattered without saying goodbye to one another. Denis, Esaly and I sprinted for the bus shelter (but only half way, because then we realized that we were soaked anyways, so why bother running). The rain stopped just after we got there. Esaly and I went down to Coquitlam Centre, because Esaly needed to buy flip flops and coat hangers, and I had nothing better to do. We ran into Ryan, and I jumped on him, which wasn't really appreciated because I was wet and he was having a bad few days. Poor guy. I hope he has fun in Africa.

Esaly and I took the 701 home. She got off in PoCo, but it was packed until 210th in Maple Ridge.

At home I got the usual "Your grades aren't good enough" rant, which is stupid, because these marks don't matter. Then again, I'm the first one in our family to have the full IB experience. Still, Bellemare could have bumped my mark up a percent.

Today I was in a vacuuming mood and vacuumed the entire house. We rented a couple movies, and tonight watched one called The Man Who Sued God. It was different. I liked it. The only thing that really confused me was that it was Australian, set in Australia, but without a single Aussie accent in the entire cast. The lead role was Billy Connolly, a bloody Scot.

I'll post pics tomorrow. I'm too tired now.

Post a Comment

<< Home