Sunday, November 18, 2007

Harry Potter and the Nodes of Ranvier

Friday was better than Thursday, I think. In any case, I was just glad it was Friday. I went over to Mikhael's after school and he gave me a back rub because my back really hurt for some reason.

Yesterday I took some time off from spending time with my family to get some homework done, then I braved the weather to have my hair cut. Grace wasn't in, it's like she knows when I'm coming, but I needed my hair cut and I don't have any more time before Thursday, so I went in anyways. I've decided that although she straightened my hair and it looked really good (I want a straightener now, so all of you kids googling Literary Murder IB, or something similar, I think you should all chip in a give a few bucks to Mikhael to buy me a late birthday present/Christmas present), I'm not happy with the cut, and neither the woman who cut my hair yesterday nor Grace listened to me at all (when I say I want it shorter in the back, I mean it), and so I think it's time for a change of hairdressers. I'm not happy with my hair, but I don't have time to have it fixed before my grad picture.

Today mom, Erin and I (dad was pissy about something and didn't come, in fact, I haven't really seen or spoken to him since breakfast) left a little early to check out the Swedish Christmas craft fair. It had normal Christmas craft fair-y stuff, though more Scandinavian, though there was one table I really liked that sold purses, I really want one of the ones with the pear print, but not only sold purses, but the matching handbag, coin purse, napkins and socks. Pretty cool. There was a table advertising three chances at tombola for five dollars, so mom paid up and we each had a go. I don't know what it is about me and craft fairs, back when we had a table at the Mission Christmas craft fair I'd win something in the raffle almost every year, and I picked a number with a zero on it this time, and left with a serving tray with matching coasters, napkins and two hand-painted, wooden butter knives. Mom and Erin made me enter some other raffle and put my name on all three tickets.

Next it was off to the Burnaby craft fair nearby, which the family went to last week, but apparently most of the vendors were different this week. There was one table with really nice scarves, and I was particularly interested in one, it was brown gauze with velvety polka dots, but it was a little expensive, thirty-eight dollars (we're stingy), and nothing else interested us that much, so we left without even entering the raffle (How lucky do you think I am? said I).

We went to the CBC radio two orchestra concert at the Chan next. The theatre was more full than we had seen it for a while, just from looking at it you would have thought Stuart Maclean was hosting, but no, it was Bill Richardson who snorted at one point. Quite funny. The program was very good, it was all Spanish music, though the first piece was the world premiere of a Spanishesque piece composed by a man who sounded like Stephane Dion. One piece included a guest guitarist who was so passionate and into the piece that it was amusing to watch him, even when he wasn't playing. The second half was the music from a Spanish ballet, with a wonderful contralto singing all of the parts.

We went for dinner at the Red Onion like we always do, even though dad wasn't there.

Mikhael is telling me to go to bed.

Mr Martin quote of the past week: "Nobody knows what's going on. We're totally buffaloed."

Post a Comment

<< Home